Monday, September 29, 2008

Green Tea Benefits

I have heard the claims and seen the diets that are selling these days based on green tea. However, it is my belief that you can get the same or similar benefits simply by drinking green tea. I personally do not want the extras that are put into those products. Not to mention that studies that have been done claim that if you only drink green tea and change nothing else in your diet and exercise routine, you only lose up to 8 pounds a year. So although it is no magic bullet, it will aid in weight loss, that much it true. Studies show that you burn about 70 calories extra a day from drinking several cups of green tea a day.

Here are some of the health benefits you get from drinking green tea aside from those listed above:

1. Reduces (LDL) bad cholesterol levels, and also total cholesterol. It may increase good (HDL)cholesterol levels

2. Inhibits the growth of some cancers. (Green tea is not a cancer cure or treatment)

3. Helps keeps our blood sugars steady.

4. Decreases our risks for cardiovascular disease.

5. Full of healthful antioxidants (polyphenols) which has been shown to limit the effects of a fatty diet among many other health benefits.

6. May improve immune function.

7. Helps manage symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.

8. Is a natural diuretic

9. Help muscles recover faster after exercise

10. Improves endurance during physical activities

11. Keeps us more alert

12. Inhibits fat absorption

13. May reduce appetite

14. Speeds up your metabolism

For more information, here are a list of resources:

http://www.colonhealth.net/weight_loss/Green_Tea_Increases_Metabolic_Weight_Loss.html

http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/pressreleases/tea

2 comments:

gymjunkie said...

Hi there! I wondered what types of green tea you have tried and which ones you like best?

Mary said...

Hi Gymjunkie!

My favorite is the one I buy at Target. It is there Archer Farms brand and I beleive it is Tropical Island or something like that. It's in a silver and teal box. But right now I am drinking Salada, not because it is my favorite, but because that's all I could find at the time. It's not bad, but I prefer Target's tropical blend. It has hints of coconut which I love!