Monday, September 29, 2008

Mary's Rules

Ok, I made some rules for myself a little while back and wanted to post them so you can get a better idea of what I am doing. Here goes:

1. At least 3 bottles of water a day

2. Eat only seafood and poultry for meat options

3. Desserts: low fat yogurt w/ sweet sprinkles, sugar free Jello, and fruit

4. Replace beer and other high calorie alcoholic drinks with a single glass of red wine or a cup of tea and a splash of rum.

5. Try to eat 4-6 mini meals instead of the larger potions "3 meals a day" (That's been going ok, but really, I just make sure to snack every once and a while so that I am not too hungry at regular meals).

6. Fast Food if unavoidable: Grilled Chicken Sandwich , no mayo and water.

7. Add acids to carbs when possible (citrus, vinegar)

8. Eat more apples, rolled oats, beans, legumes

9. 20-30% of calories from fat

10. Plate should be filled in the following way:
1/4 lean protein
1/4 good carb(s)
1/2 vegetables/fruits

11. Low-fat or fat free Dairy should be included throughout the day to equal up to 100% Daily value as listed on packaging (ex: Fat Free or 1% milk, Non-fat or low fat yogurt, low fat cheese, fat free sour cream, fat free cottage cheese, ect.)

12. Eat Big Breakfast

13. Eat lots of low fat sources of protein (I try to include protein at every meal as it helps fill you up faster, as does "good carbs".

14. Try to eat fruits and vegetables to avoid eating too much of higher calorie foods.

15. Work in "good fats" such as avocados, nuts, fish ect. (I eat some kind of nuts or peanut butter in small potions to snack on when I am hungry. It fills me up and I am still losing weight.)

16. No cream soups

17. Sprinkle sensa on everything

18. When cravings become too much and I need something sweet I have reasoned to eat dark chocolate because of its many health benefits (but I haven't had any cravings so far).

19. Low fat or fat free dressings with vinegar in the main ingredients, used sparingly.

Now my rules about cheating:

1. Cheat once a week or once every other week in some little way (to keep me from feeling deprived. I have eaten cake and had fuzzy navels and still lost weight because 99% of the time I am eating what I should be eating. I do not recommend this if you can not do so in moderation.)

In general:

I eat a lot of vegatables and protein and limit carbs. I have been eating carbs, but only good carbs. I try only to eat a few servings a day.

No comments: